This strawberry agua fresca is the perfect drink for a warm Spring or Summer's day. It's ideal for entertaining and those who like to prepare ahead of time.
Are you looking for a refreshing drink? This Mexican strawberry water is for you. Agua frescas are a light fruity drink popular in Mexico and if you translate the Spanish into English its name means ‘fresh water’.
A tangy mix of sweet strawberry and sour lime, this strawberry fresca drink is perfect over ice. Be sure to check out my watermelon agua fresca recipe too.
Why This recipe works
This strawberry agua drink ticks all the boxes. It’s:
- Easy: it doesn’t come much easier than this recipe. Simply mix, blend, strain, chill and serve.
Hint: serve over ice to keep your strawberry fresca cooler for longer.
- It’s great for entertaining: this refreshing fruit water is a cost-effective way to take advantage of the strawberry season. Make it in advance, so you’re free to enjoy yourself.
- Low in sugar: sweeten this recipe with monkfruit for a lower sugar alternative. Monkfruit sweetener is an all-natural sweetener with zero net carbs. Note: you can use regular sugar or another sweetener if you prefer. Just be mindful of the sugar content.
- Perfect to make ahead of time: Serve your strawberry agua fresca fresh over ice or keep it chilled in the fridge. Make sure to give it a quick stir before serving to mix the ingredients.
What is strawberry agua fresca?
Agua fresca is a light fruit drink popular in Mexico. Traditionally it is a mix of fruit, water, sugar, and a little lime juice. Made with various fruits, strawberry agua is the most common and popular variation.
Best of all, authentic strawberry agua fresca is alcohol free. There are no adaptations or omissions needed to whip up this easy drink!
This recipe calls for fresh everyday ingredients that come together to make the perfect summer sip.
Fresh strawberries: There’s nothing better than fresh strawberries straight from the punnet. If you can only get your hands on frozen strawberries, always thaw them before adding.
Slice your strawberries before macerating them in the sugar water mixture for a sweet and smooth result.
Sugar, or monkfruit sweetener: maceration (soaking fruit in sugar water) is essential to soften the strawberries. It will turn even less than perfect berries into something worthy of your fresca.
Cane sugar is the most common choice when making strawberry agua fresca, but monkfruit sweetener works well for a low sugar option.
Lime juice: since fresca literally means fresh, I will advocate that you use fresh lime in this recipe. Of course, a fresca in the hand is better than no fresca at all. If you can’t get your hands on fresh lime, bottled will also work!
Mint to garnish: a simple garnish for a deliciously simple drink. A spring of mint, freshly halved strawberries and a lime wheel make this fresca look as good as it tastes.
If you prefer your agua fresca strawberry mocktail on the sweeter side, this recipe works well without the lime. Alternatively, adjust the quantity to your taste.
For a low sugar option, simply swap the sugar out with monkfruit sweetener to enjoy a refined sugar-free fresca.
Equipment You'll Need
Sweet and refreshing, strawberry agua fresca is easy to make. You’ll need a:
- Blender: a quick blitz is all you need to make a deliciously smooth drink. A traditional or stick blender both work well for this recipe, but I find it easier with a traditional blender.
- Citrus juicer: if you’re adding lime then it’s well worth choosing fresh. A citrus juicer will help you to extract the most juice from your limes. They’re an inexpensive and handy tool, especially for citrus lovers!
- Strainer: strawberry agua fresca has been created to have a smooth feel in the mouth. Use a strainer to remove any lumps and large seeds. Choose a metal sieve with a fine mesh for best results.
- Pitcher: serve your fresca in a pitcher for the perfect party drink. Save time by straining directly into the pitcher. Make sure to add ice before serving so your fresca is nice and cold.
How to make a strawberry agua fresca
- Mix sliced strawberries, sugar (or monkfruit sweetener) and 1 cup of water together in a medium bowl.
- Cover and leave in the fridge for 4 hours.
3. Stir well, then pour the strawberry mixture into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
4. Strain through a wire mesh strainer over a jug or bowl. Add the remaining water and stir to combine.
5. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve or serve immediately over ice.
6. Garnish with lime wheels and mint.
Frequently asked questions
Frozen strawberries are a great option when fresh strawberries are out of season. Allow them to fully thaw before use.
True agua frescas are not carbonated. They are designed to be thirst quenchers rather than sweet treats. Stick to flat water to keep it authentic.
Agave nectar is the traditional sweetener for agua fresca.
Alternatively, you can use Stevia or coconut sugar. Refer to the instructions on the pack for conversion amounts.
Drinking agua fresca is a great way to stay hydrated on a warm day. You can also lower the sugar content by using monkfruit sweetener.
Additionally, fresh strawberries are a fantastic source of vitamin C, fibre, and antioxidants. Straining may lower the nutritional value of the strawberries however most of the goodness is still retained.
Yes! This recipe tastes best when the fruit is given time to steep. You can make this recipe a day or two in advance. Simply store the blended fruit mixture in an airtight container in the fridge. Add the additional chilled water once you are ready to serve.
- If you have icy pole moulds, the fresca mixture is perfect for freezing and having as a treat on a warm day.
- You can strain this mixture directly into the pitcher to save any additional dishes.
- Save yourself some time when your guests arrive and make this a few hours prior. Just keep it in the fridge and stir gently when you're ready to serve.
If you love this recipe, you'll also love my:
Love this recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below or leave me a comment if you REALLY love it!
I hope you love this tangy strawberry agua fresca recipe just as much as I do!
The BEST Strawberry Agua Fresca
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup sugar, or alternative See notes
- 4 cups water
- 1 lime, sliced for garnish
- Few sprigs of mint for garnish
- Mix sliced strawberries, sugar (or monkfruit sweetener) and 1 cup of water together in a medium bowl. Cover and leave in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Stir well, then pour the strawberry mixture into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Strain through a wire mesh strainer over a jug or bowl. Add the remaining water and stir to combine.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to serve or serve immediately over ice. Garnish with lime wheels and mint. I love adding a squeeze of lime juice right before serving to add a little acidity.
NUTRITIONAL VALUES ARE ESTIMATES ONLY AND DO NOT INCLUDE CARBS FROM SUGAR ALCOHOLS.