Are you looking for a virgin Sangria recipe? You’ve found it! This easy mocktail recipe is PERFECT to make for baby showers, pregnancy, non-drinkers and kids.
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.*.
This easy, delicious non alcoholic Sangria mocktail is a perfect variation of a classic!
I remember trying Sangria for the first time in Spain, many years ago now. It was so easy (too easy!) to drink and sitting in the hot Spanish sun sipping (gulping!) this delicious drink resulted in a very early night and rotten hangover the next day!
So I went on a mission to find the perfect non alcoholic Sangria recipe and it was much easier than I thought.
This simple Sangria is:
Delicious: what could be better than beautiful non alcoholic wine or juice infused with delicious fruit flavours? Divine!
Looks great: with the fruit and liquid creating a spectacular colour combination, this mocktail recipe both tastes AND looks great.
Versatile: don’t have access to non alcoholic red? Prefer a different type of fruit? No problem! There are so many variations available for this recipe you are sure to find one that suits you.
Perfect for a crowd: this non alcoholic Sangria is made in advance and can be made in huge batches, so its perfect for guests.
Can be made for kids: looking for a kids mocktail recipe? Replace the non alcoholic red wine with juices and sparkling beverages and you’ve got the perfect kids drink!
What is non alcoholic sangria?
Traditional Sangria originates in Spain and Portugal. It’s a punch like beverage made with red wine and fruit. Depending on where you purchase it, it may also be made with a combination of spirits and other ingredients. It’s seen most frequently in bars, clubs and restaurants in Spain and Portugal.
My non alcoholic Sangria recipe is made with alcohol free red wine or juice (depending on what you can get your hands on!), fruit and some optional sweetener should you need it.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Non alcoholic red wine: there are plenty of alcohol free reds on the market, and the market is always growing! I purchase all my non alcoholic goodies from Sans Drinks. If you are unable to find it where you live, I’ve listed plenty of variations below that still taste great.
- Chopped fruit: I personally love green apples, fresh oranges and lemon slices in this non alcoholic cocktail. They release the best flavour, and are a gorgeous colour combination with the green, orange and yellow.
- Something sparkling: do you prefer a few bubbles in your mocktail? Whilst some love the combination of just the wine and fruit, adding a few bubbles can add a little something extra to this already beautiful drink. Ginger beer or ale tastes particularly good, or regular sparkling water works well too.
- Optional sweetener: if you’re not a sweet tooth, you might find there is plenty of sweetness with the red wine and fruit. If you like a little extra, maple syrup is divine, or you can use a sugar replacement, such as monk fruit sweetener.
VIRGIN SANGRIA Variations
The best thing about virgin Sangria is you really can make it your own. Find the quantities and ratios that work for you and stick with it!
You can replace with wine with fruit juice such as:
Cranberry juice, which still gives you the gorgeous red colour but makes this a little less ‘adult’ so it’s perfect if you’re making this mocktail for kids.
Pomegranate juice. This is my favourite juice to use in place of red wine, because I can purchase organic juice. When using juice, I’ll always add some sort of sparkling beverage to keep the sugar content down.
Apple juice or grape juice. Again, it’s personal preference which juice you decide to use, but a combination of apple or grape juice also works well!
Lime juice or lemon juice. Adding half or a whole cup of citrus juice gives this easy mocktail a nice little kick.
Different fruit. Use fruit of your choice. I love topping it with cranberries or pomegranate seeds – this works especially well if you’re making this as a Christmas mocktail.
Make it sparkling! For a sparkling mocktail, try regular sparkling water, ginger beer or ale or citrus flavoured soda water.
How to make it
Add sliced fruit and sweetener (if using) to a large pitcher. Give the fruit a gentle press with a muddler to release some juices.
Add the non alcoholic red wine (or juices of your choice) to the pitcher. Stir well.
Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
Serve in glasses with ice and extra fruit slices for garnish.
I hope you enjoy this non alcoholic Sangria recipe as much as I enjoyed creating it!
Non Alcoholic Sangria
- 1 orange sliced into rings
- 1 lemon sliced into rings
- 35 millilitres maple syrup or sweetener of choice See note 1
- 1 green apple sliced into wedges
- 250 millilitres orange juice See note 2
- 1 bottle alcohol-free red wine or juice alternative See note 3
- 500 millilitres sparkling beverage of your choice See note 4
- Place orange, lemon and sweetener of choice in a large glass pitcher.
- Muddle gently until some of the juice are released from the fruit. If you don't have a muddler, use the back end of a wooden spoon or similar.
- Add the apple wedges, orange juice and non alcoholic wine or alternative. Stir gently to combine all ingredients.
- Place in the fridge for at least an hour. I recommend 3-4 hours.
- Taste and add more sweetener if needed.
- Just before serving, add your sparkling beverage of choice (if making the sparkling version). Stir gently.
- Serve and enjoy.
NUTRITIONAL VALUES ARE ESTIMATES ONLY AND DO NOT INCLUDE CARBS FROM SUGAR ALCOHOLS.