This gorgeous blue mocktail recipe called Citrus Magic is surprisingly easy to make! Made with butterfly pea flowers, it’s a crowd pleaser.
This purple and blue mocktail recipe was a whole lotta fun to make! (Hint: if you love all things blue, be sure to check out my blue lagoon mocktail too).
I’ve always wondered how some mocktails end up that beautiful purple colour. Of course, when making my lavender lemonade recipe the answer is easy – it comes from the flowers! And for cocktails, the colour often comes from the spirits that are mixed. But of course, we are all about non-alcoholic cocktails here, so how do we make it happen?
The answer – butterfly pea flowers!
These little dried colours pack a punch of colour. And, when mixed with citrus (think lemon, lime or grapefruit), it turns from blue to a beautiful purple colour. The butterfly pea tea itself has quite a mild, earthy flavour so it isn’t very strong. It’s mainly used for the beautiful colour and health benefits.
Speaking of health benefits – YES there are many!
Butterfly Pea Tea Benefits
Butterfly pea flowers are rich in antioxidants and support glowing skin. The flavonoids in blue tea are known to stimulate collagen production.
The tea also contains anthocyanin which is excellent for overall health, AND studies have shown that it helps to ease stress. Plus, they are completely caffeine free.
They can be found at any reputable tea shop.
You can use any citrus base for this blue mocktail recipe. I used grapefruit juice because I love it. Lemon or lime will also work.
I try to keep my recipes fairly simple, and this drink was already complicated enough, so the final ingredient is just your favourite sparkling beverage. You can use any sparkling (or still!) beverage you like to top these up. You could also make some homemade lemonade.
Enjoy this Citrus Magic blue mocktail recipe!
Citrus Magic Blue Mocktail
- 15 butterfly pea flowers
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- 2-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed citrus
- your favourite sparkling drink
- Place flowers and boiling water in a jug and seep for 30 minutes.
- Drain flowers, and freeze blue water into ice cubes.
- Freeze 2 cups regular water into ice cubes.
- Once frozen, blend blue ice cubes in a high speed blender. Leave a few larger chunks in there for some texture.
- Repeat with the regular ice.
- Place blue ice and white ice into separate containers and store in the freezer until you are ready to build the drinks.
- Stack tall glasses half way with regular ice. Top with butterfly pea ice.
- Add 1 tablespoon citrus of your choice into each glass. This measurement doesn’t have to be exact, you can add a little more if you like.
- Add a little more butterfly pea ice on top, then top with your favourite sparkling beverage and stir.
- Garnish and enjoy!
NUTRITIONAL VALUES ARE ESTIMATES ONLY AND DO NOT INCLUDE CARBS FROM SUGAR ALCOHOLS.